Saturday, 7 August 2010

Books That Made Me Cry

I'm not a crier. Few books have made me tear up and it's the same with movies too; I sat through Titanic and I just couldn't see what all the fuss was about. I got more upset in The Lion King than I did in that film. That being said, however, there are a few books that have had me crying my eyes out like a two year old. In no particular order:


1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter #7) by J. K. Rowling

Whoever didn't cry in this books cannot be human. It was a freaking bloodbath. So many people died...it was just so sad! So many characters we loved, gone. And don't even get me started on the chapters "The Prince's Tale" and "The Forest Again". The words started to become blurry because I was crying so much I couldn't see. And plus, it was 1am in the morning when I was reading those chapters, and I had to cry silently otherwise I would have woken everyone up. Do you know how hard it is to read through silent tears? Very.

 
2. Ptolemy's Gate (Bartimaeus #3) by Jonathan Stroud

Oh my God, what kind of kid's books is this? The worst part was that I totally did not expect the ending. I was just happily reading along, thinking, "What a nice, funny book!" and completely expecting there to be a "happily ever after" finish to it. Then BAM. I bawled like a baby for an entire hour after I finished it. A whole freaking hour. I've only ever read this book once, but I remember the last line so clearly; it's like I memorised it. Don't get me wrong, I still love the series. I did love this book. Jonathan Stroud is an amazing writer, and I recommend his books to anyone. But there's no way I can ever read this again. I'd just start crying and I wouldn't stop.


3. The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials #3) by Philip Pullman

What the..I can't even explain how this book makes me feel. It's like, just after everything's perfect and all the characters are finally happy even after everything they've been through, something happens just to screw it all up again. But this time, part of the screwiness is permanent and they'll never experience the happiness they just experienced ever again. Can you say unfair? The His Dark Materials trilogy is one of my favourite children's series, but I can't pretend this book didn't cause tears to splatter the pages. Will and Lyra...probably one of the unluckiest pairs ever to have (fictionally) lived.


4. Airhead (Airhead #1) by Meg Cabot

I know. You're thinking, "What the fudgesticks? A freaking Meg Cabot book is on this list?" But seriously, hear me out. Even though this books is mostly a comedy (it is hilarious :P), there's just this one line towards the end that has me tearing up every time I read it. It's just so tragically sweet, it makes me cry. And I don't know if I'm crying because the thing that was said is so sweet or because the person saying it was obviously so upset and completely unhappy with their life now...ah. I don't even know. I really don't. I just know I cry when I read it.

 
5. Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian (Percy Jackson #5) by Rick Riordan

The conclusion to the Percy Jackson series. I cried. A lot. The end scene...it was very upsetting. I felt so bad for "the villain", even after everything he'd done; I really didn't want the thing that happened to him to happen to him (I'm trying not to give away spoilers here :P). All the stuff he did - it's hard to even blame him, after the life he had. And he redeemed himself too! Ah, it was difficult reading that. But Percy Jackson will always remain one of my favourite series ever, and I can't wait for The Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus  #1) to be released!


So looking back over that list, it appears that I'm more of a crier than I thought...

What books, if any, made you cry?

8 comments:

  1. a lot of these are on my to read list! guess i better bring kleenex!! Thank you for stopping by and following my blog :) I'm a new follower!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, it would probably be wise to keep a box of tissues handy. And thank you very much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for dropping by my blog! Can't think of too many books that made me cry off the top of my head, but I do remember crying when reading the third Lord of the Rings book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually the last book I read made me teary eyed a few times, it was Forgotten by Melody Carlson. I am now following your blog. Check mine out if you get a chance kittycrochettwo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dont usually cry in books either...

    But I got teary in If I Stay (Gayle Forman)

    And cried in jellicoe Road (melina marchetta)

    Also, Sweethearts by Sara Zarr

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read If I Stay yet but I heard it's meant to be really sad. I say I won't read these kinds of books but then I do anyway! :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there. Great post! I'm a new follower. I am a frequent book crier. Definitely sobbed at HP - every time I read it. I sobbed at If I Stay and Before I Fall. And Marley & Me - any dog book.
    Alison Can Read

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I'm a huge crier, especially with books! I think I'd need to make a list of books that I *didn't* cry at instead :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are better than frosted cupcakes :)