I have the lovely Jennifer Laurens here today and she has kindly agreed to do an interview with me. Jennifer is the author of the Heavenly series and the third book, Absolution, is due for release October 1st 2010. Please help her feel very welcome!
1. Can you tell us a bit about Heavenly and its sequels?
Heavenly is the story of a teenage girl who falls in love with her autistic sister's guardian angel. Penitence and Absolution are about the results of that to a certain degree.
2. Why did you decide to write Heavenly?
I've always been fascinated with life after death. And, having a daughter with autism who will never marry and love and have children in this life, I thought, "Wouldn't it be cool if she met someone in the life after?" The idea blossomed into Heavenly, which is quite different than THAT, but you get the idea.
3. What did you find hardest to write and why?
My son was struggling with a drug addiction at the time, and Luke's character is all him. There were days when I wept writing that out - because most of the events in Heavenly happened to us. Other difficult scenes were the ones with Zoe's frustration with Abria because all of my children have had to come to terms with their autistic sibling - in their own way - and that's been a huge challenge for them.
4. Can you tell us about any other writing projects you have coming up?
Absolution (the final book in the Heavenly series) comes out in Oct, then Overprotected comes out on Valentine's Day 2011. Another book will be released at the end of next year.
5. What do you like to do in your spare time?
I don't have a lot of spare time with 6 children, but if a second comes along, I read. I also LOVE movies. Dolls. Minatures. Shopping. Travel. Food. Cooking.
6. What is the weirdest thing that has ever happened to you?
Not something I can share here :).
7. Do you have a motto or philosophy that you live by?
No worldy accomplishment can compensate for failure in the home.
8. What advice would you give to others aspiring to be authors?
Read all genres. Write as much as you can. Join a critique group.
9. Coke or Pepsi?
10. Yahoo or Google?
11. Glass half empty or half full?
It's half way, period!
12. All time favourite book?
Honest Illusions by Nora Roberts.
13. Favourite movie?
The Parent Trap (new version).
14. If you were on a desert island, what three things would you take with you?
Food, water and sunscreen.
15. Any last words or comments?
Thanks for having me here!
Thank you very much! Now for the giveaway. Jennifer is offering one lucky winner a copy of her book, Heavenly and she's happy to ship internationally, so this giveaway is open worldwide! To enter, you must:
- Be a GFC follower (old or new)
- Leave a meaningful comment on this post including your email address so I can contact you if you win (this equals 1 entry)
- +2 for spreading the word (tweeting, sidebar, facebook, blogging - max 6 entries)
- +1 for commenting on my review of Heavenly here
- +1 for following Jennifer's blog here
That's it guys! I hope you enjoyed the interview, and good luck!